Coconut is undoubtedly the most used ingredient in my kitchen whether it’s cooking, skincare or hair care. It’s a holy grail for my family, esp for my dad- who compel me, to use it for all skin problems (not that I am complaining) from acne scars to chapped lips . It’s a magical solution for everything.. you name it, coconut oil can probably do it!
Aside from my macadamia jojoba body oil, this is another body lotion, I use on a daily basis. This recipe include coconut and almond oil that are both oil free and great for most skin types including problem skin. The mixture is solid at room temperature and liquefies when heated. It is light, absorbs quickly without clogging pores (one of the main reasons I love it). Lavender adds aroma to the mixture, and help soothe the mind, and spirit.
What are the benefits of using..
Almond oil is my go to carrier oil for any oil based skin recipe as it is light and can be easily mixed with other oils. It is rich in Vitamin E , A , oleic acid (up to 86%) a omega 9 fatty acid and Linoleic acid, packed with antioxidants such as quercetin (supplement), quercitrin, kaempferol (ability to fight cancer), and morin. Quercetin and kaempferol, in particular, are thought to contain some SPF.
Pure virgin coconut oil (Cocos nucifer) liquefies when applied to skin and easily absorbed without clogging pores. It is said to have anti-microbial, anti-fungal and sun protective properties. Coconut oil is made from 3 healthy fatty acids: Caprylic acid, Lauric acid, and Capric acid that helps retain moisture content of skin and delay ageing.
On the other hand, lavender oil is very popular for its soothing and healing properties. It’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory benefits help in fighting acne breakouts, infections, cuts, scrapes or bug bites.
Where to get ingredients
- Virgin Nutiva Coconut from Amazon / iherb (organic, virgin and cold pressed) / Amzon India / Earthon cold processed (IND)
- Organic almond oil from Amazon / iherb / Amazon India
- Lavender essential oil from Amazon / iherb / Amazon India
- Dark amber bottle / Glass jar
Other Coconut Oil recipes
- 1 part of organic coconut oil
- 1 part of organic almond oil
- 3-4 drops of lavender oil
- Fill half of the container with coconut oil and other half with almond oil.
- Add 3-4 drops of lavender to it depending on the size of the container.
Did you ever make your own skin care product? share your thoughts below!