Being a south Indian, Nothing much excites me than a full plate of spicy food that is quick to make and healthy. This mouth savoring coconut milk recipe or Veg biryani recipe (as I call it) is one of my favorite go to recipes for weekends or when I’m expecting some friends or guests. Guess what, this is also my first food recipe on the blog 🙂 . So, let me give you an overview of what lazy recipes are- As the speaks for itself, these are quick to make, vegetarian or vegan, healthy and require less utensils (all I care about..less dishes to wash, indeed!). These recipes are mostly exclusive to dl or done my altering the original recipe to make them hassle free and lazy friendly 🙂
Being a lazy person I tend to make my own recipes or alter recipes to make them hassle free yet delicious. This is what led my roomie and myself to experiment this medley of Spices and Coconut when we first saw ready made coconut milk in Walmart (Asian food section). We were super pumped to give it a try and the result was delicious.
Total time: 3
Prep Time: 1
Cook Time: 20
- Basmati rice- 2 cups
- Coconut milk– 3/4th Can
- Oil- 3 tbsp, Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Cashews- handful
- Salt to taste
- Onions- 3 medium sized, vertically sliced
- Potatoes- 2 big size, diced
- Green Chilies- 8-10 (depending on how hot you want), sliced vertically
- Green beans- 8 strands,
- Carrots- 3 big size, diced
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves- 4
- Cinnamon- 1″ inch
- Cloves- 9
- Cumin Seeds- 1 tbsp
- Star Anise/ Biryani flower- 4
- Mustard seeds- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Turmeric- 1/4 tbsp
- Chana dal- 1/4 cup (optional)
- Pressure Cooker
- Add 3/4th can of coconut milk (which will be thick as paste), mix it well to make it viscous- add little water if needed.
- Take 3 cups of the coconut milk which you just mixed and pour into a vessel. Add 2 cups of rice to it (1 cup of rice-11/2 cup of coconut milk) and keep it aside.
(Or) follow steps as mentioned on how to make coconut milk
- Grate coconut after breaking it or buy unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Grind 2 cups of shredded coconut by adding 1 cups of warm water.
- Take the thick paste and follow the same measurements as mentioned above.
- Heat 2 tbsp Oil and 1 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker, add mustard seeds, chana dal, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, Star anise, saute for a minute.
- Add green chilies, cashews and sliced onions to the mixture and saute for around 4 mts – till the color of onions turn light brown.
- Add Ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts on medium-low flame.
- Add remaining oil and Ghee and add all the vegetables to the mixture, saute on medium flame for 5 mts.
- Now add the rice and coconut milk mixture to the cooker and mix well. Add salt to taste. taste the mixture and add sliced green chilies if you feel spice is less.
- Close the cooker lid and cook on high flame for 2 whistles.
- Once the steam is released, fluff the rice with fork and garnish with coriander leaves/ Cilantro. serve hot with raita.
Coconut is the one of the richest source of saturated fats that contain Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)- a medium chain fatty acid that are essential for good health. It helps in improving digestion, increase metabolism, decrease hunger and help in reducing abdominal fat.
In addition, Coconut contains no trans fat and is gluten free- perfect for vegans. Also the Lauric Acid in coconut contains Antiviral, Anti fungal, Antibacterial healing properties.
For 100 ml serving
- Calories- 154
- Protein- 1.4g
- Fat- 15g (13.2 saturated)
- Carbohydrates- 3.4g
What is your favorite simple meal recipe? leave them in comments 🙂
Pictures by SB