Gutti Vankaya Curru is a specialty curry from the state of Andhra Pradesh in India where small-sized brinjals (Gutti Vankaya) are stuffed with nutty, tangy, and spicy masala powder and cooked in low-medium flame to perfection. This curry is a labor of love, it’s truly delicious, and trust me you can’t stop with one!
- 20 Brinjals
For Stuffing Masala
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 2 tbsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp.cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup dry coconut
- 10–11 dry red chilies
- 1-inch tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin Seeds
- Few curry Leaves
- Pinch of hing/asafetida
- Wash all the Brinjals. Pat it dry with a clean cloth. Then take one brinjal at a time, slit it vertically forming a “+”. till 3/4 of the length. Do not slit all the way down. Repeat the step for the rest of the brinjals.
- Heat oil in a pan. Place each brinjal in the pan. Cover the lid and cook the brinjal in medium flame for 10-15 mins. Flip the brinjal in between to cook both sides and remove the ones that are done. Make sure the brinjals are not mushy, you should be able to hold them and stuff the masala without falling apart.
Preparing the Stuffing Masala
- Heat a pan and dry roast peanuts for a couple of minutes in medium flame. Take the peanuts aside.
- In the same pan, next dry roast urad dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, cumin, dry coconut, dry red chilies one after the other in medium flame until they splutter. This process avoids over or under cooking of the ingredients.
- Turn off the stove, add the garlic to the hot pan for 3 secs and put it aside.
- Once cooled, transfer all the ingredients with salt except peanuts, garlic, and tamarind to a blender and blend it to a coarse powder. Adding peanuts in the beginning will make the mixture mushy and cause lumps.
- Now add garlic and tamarind to the mixture and blend it again. Then follow the same process for peanuts.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and remove any lumps.
Preparing the Gutti Vankaya Curry
- Stuff each brinjal with the ground masala. Keep the leftover masala aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric and allow it to sputter. Then add curry leaves, hing and give a mix.
- Then place the stuffed brinjals in the pan. Spread the leftover masala on the top.
- Cover and cook for about 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Serve the delicious Gutti Vankaya Curry with rice and slurp!!!
Don’t dry roast all the stuffing ingredients at once to avoid the mixture tasting raw. Roast them one at a time.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: South Indian
Keywords: Gutti Vankaya Curry, Stuffed Eggplant curry, Andhra Recipes, Indian vegan recipes