I was strictly a “No Tofu” person until last year, but thanks to my love for Asian food, I started to like tofu so much that I crave it every other day. I don’t know, I might sound silly but I often go through these heavy craving phases which I like to call Vampire cravings (but my cravings are strictly vegetarian).
One moment, I am all normal minding my own business, and boom, I will have an intense craving for something, and this time, yeah you guessed it, tofu. This was my first try at cooking Tofu and I was happy it turned out pretty tasty.
This recipe is inspired by traditional Palak (spinach) Paneer curry. Tofu replaces the Paneer (Indian cheese) making this recipe high in protein. The Recipe is Vegan as there are no lactose or dairy products used in the preparation. Basically, Tofu is immersed in the thick aromatic spinach puree.
Serve hot with Indian bread or rice or quinoa or Cauli rice. For a high-protein meal, eat it with Quinoa. It tastes really good with quinoa, trust me on this 🙂
Palak Tofu or Spinach Tofu Curry Recipe
- 16 oz extra Firm Tofu (1 packet), cut into cubes
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 3-4 pods garlic peeled
- handful cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil, sautee spinach until its mushy
- Use a food processor or blender to blend soaked spinach, garlic, ginger, cashew nuts and Coconut milk into a puree and set aside.
- Use the same pan, heat 2 tsp of oil, and cubed tofu. Sauté for 6-7 minutes till tofu is light brown and set aside. (I skip this step usually and it still tastes very good)
- Now heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Once hot, add turmeric, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds one after the other and Sauté till they start to splutter.
- Add onions and sauté until they are golden brown
- Add in the prepared spinach puree and mix. Also, add 1/2 cup water and cook it for 10 mins until the raw taste of spinach is gone.
- Add salt and cayenne to the puree and sauté for 3-4 minutes
- Now, add the sautéed tofu to the spinach curry.
- Cover and simmer the curry for 6 minutes on low heat.
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and mix.
Other Vegan recipes
Dark Chocolate Coconut Truffles