Masala Chai is a favorite in almost every household in India. This chai is packed with aromas and with the best plant-based milk I have tried.
Chai Masala Ingredients (large batch)
- 1/2 cup green cardamom pods
- 1/4 cup peppercorns
- 1/4 cup cloves
- 3 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks or 3 tsp cinnamon powder or 1 1/2 tsp allspice or you can add 2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg (optional- for extra spice / flavor variation)
Chai Ingredients (serves 2)
- Grind all the spices for chai masala in a blender to a coarse powder. Store it in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- In a small saucepan at medium heat add water, tea leaves, chai masala blend, or crush spices using a mortar and pestle, sugar, and grated ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Add oat milk and stir in. Boil for 6-7 mins
- Strain the tea into a cup and enjoy!
The milk to water ratio depends on the type of milk (low-fat, fat-free, full fat, etc.) you are using and individual taste. I usually prefer either 1:1 or 1:1 1/3 (milk to water) ratio. If you like thicker tea, use 1:1 (milk to water) ratio and for a stronger chai; use 1: 1 1/2 (milk to water) ratio.
Adjust the chai masala to your taste. I started with a pinch of chai masala now I add half spoon of this mini coffee spoon which is similar to 1/8 tsp.
If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can also use ginger powder. But I like the taste and aroma of a fresh ginger