I have received so many messages from beautiful ladies asking me tips on how to reduce hair fall. I was surprised to find that most of us are in the same boat. Fighting hair fall, struggling to grow hair and finding it almost impossible to increase the volume of the hair.
What I have learned from my experience is finding the reason for your hair loss will nearly solve your problem. But finding it is the hardest thing.
Here are some reasons I have noticed why my hair fall-
1. Chlorinated water– Chlorine is the biggest enemy of hair. Apart from hair fall it also makes your hair dry and frizzy. If you are suffering from hair fall after moving to a new place then the reason could be mostly because of water.
Chlorine shower filters didn’t make much difference for me but using drinking water did. I used to refill 5-gallon bottles from Kroger or Whole foods every week and use that water for washing my hair. I have seen a lot of difference in my hair when I did that. My hair wasn’t that frizzy and hair loss was minimal in the shower. Luckily, the place I live right now has good water so I don’t have to do that anymore.
2. Stress- Stress is the reason for many health problems, reducing it is not the easiest thing. Try meditation and workout regularly to relieve stress.
3. Not washing hair on a regular basis– We all have times when you get lazy or too busy to wash your hair. Every time I leave my hair uncleaned for more than 4 days, I see an increased amount of hair fall in the shower. The trick I use to keep myself in check is to apply oil to the scalp the night before I want to wash my hair and sleep so the next morning I will definitely have to wash my hair even though I feel lazy.
4. Shampoo- This is pretty obvious. Not all shampoos work for every hair. Don’t settle until you find the one that suits your hair and has no harmful chemicals especially sulfates. I am currently using this Ayurvedic shampoo and loving it so far.
Other possible reasons for hair fall-
- Thyroid Issues
- Iodine deficiency
- Poor Diet– Eat food rich in biotin like eggs, avocado, almonds, whole wheat, etc. Food rich in iron-rich protein like leafy green vegetables, tofu, legumes, lentils, etc. Foods rich in Vitamin A like bell peppers, Vitamin C like citrus fruits and Zinc like spinach.
Apart from water quality and hair products, essential oils help me maintain a healthy hair and scalp also stimulating hair growth.
Top Essential Oils for Stimulating Hair Growth
There are many essential oils that can be useful for hair growth. Following are the ones I use the most
Rosemary Oil– The best oil for hair growth. You will find this oil in all the blends I am sharing today. Rosemary increases blood flow to the hair follicles hence stimulating faster and healthier hair growth. Rosemary also prevents excess oiliness in the scalp, promoting clean and healthy scalp that fosters the formation of new hair. It also said to reduce dandruff.
Apart from the wonderful benefits, rosemary smells divine. It’s definitely one of the best smelling essential oils.
Peppermint Oil- You will love the pleasant soothing feeling it gives when applied to the scalp. This sensation is said to stimulate and invigorate the hair follicles, thereby promoting hair growth.
Cedarwood Oil- Cedarwood is another amazing oil that is well-known for promoting hair growth. Like Rosemary, it nourishes the scalp by improving the blood flow. Another amazing quality cedarwood has just like rosemary and peppermint is awakening dormant phase follicles. About 10% of the hair on your head is in a dormant phase.
The dormant phase lasts for 2 to 6 months and when the phase ends, the hair is dead and a new hair emerges. Due to the unhealthy maintenance of hair like poor nutrition, excess heat will increase this dormant phase and hair follicles gradually shrink. This will make hair follicles thinner and shorter as the hair follicles get weaker and they eventually fall causing hair fall.
Chamomile Oil- Chamomile oil is very effective in preventing dandruff and soothing an itching scalp.
DIY Essential Oil Blends
Before we get into the actual recipe. Here are some tips-
You can use any of these Carrier oils or a combination of these oils instead of using just Coconut oil.
Carrier Oils- Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil, Almond Oil, Castor Oil (note: castor oil is very thick and getting it off from hair is really hard).
The level of composition of these blends is in increasing order. If you are not sure how your hair is going to react to this oils. Start off with the blend# 1 with only one essential oil and slowly increase the number of oils.
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil
- 30 drops of Rosemary
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil or Combination of Coconut and Almond Oil
- 20 drops Rosemary Oil
- 20 drops Peppermint Oil
- 1 Capsule or teaspoon Vitamin E
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil or Combination of Coconut and Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Jojoba Oil
- 20 drops Rosemary
- 20 drops Cedarwood
- 10 drops Chamomile
- 1 tbsp of Carrier Oil (coconut oil / Almond Oil / Olive Oil)
- 5 drops of each Essential Oil
- Put oil in a glass container. I use this Mason Jar with dispenser to store the oil
- Add essential oil to it. Close the bottle and shake well to mix everything up.
- Put some oil on your fingertips and massage into scalp. Leave it on your hair for 1-2 hours or overnight before showering.
Shop The Post
Your hair is the crown you never take off!
Thank you for stopping by and reading my post!