Last year I started this tradition of picking a word of the year as a focal point for what I want to bring into my life in the New Year.
My word for 2019 was Sync. Whether it’s making sustainable choices or being mindful of my surroundings or slowing down and living in the moment. My major focus in 2019 was to be in ‘sync’ with nature.
I made various lifestyle changes some small and some big from carrying my own grocery & produce bag to grocery stores to switching to a vegan diet to shopping from ethical fashion brands. I was constantly reminded of the word while making daily choices (will share all my sustainable swaps in a blog post soon). In 2019, I also found a new love for walking ever since we got our puppy. I found it meditating and a way to relieve stress. These daily strolls have also helped me cope with big changes that happened in 2019.
Why is it Important to Pick a Word of the Year?
- It helps me in goal planning and setting intentions.
- A single word is easy to keep it on top of my head.
- Serves as a daily reminder to make the right choice and gives me clarity on why I am doing what I am doing.
- It provides something to judge my projects and task ideas by before I begin, to be sure they’re in line with my overall goals.
I just love the idea of encapsulating my goals and intentions for each area of my life and have them all tie back to a single word.
So I want to continue the tradition and pick a word for 2020.
My Word of the Year for 2020 is CLARITY.
Seeking Clarity is seeking connection with the universe. To connect is to understand; to be clear is to be enlightened
2019 was rewarding yet challenging for me. It was the year of profound self-awareness, self-growth, and self-healing. I saw myself in a new light, discovered traits that I forgot I had while accepting qualities that I didn’t have (thanks to my brutally honest husband). I had moments when something became clear that had previously been roadblocks. Those “aha!” moments were a real blessing this past year. I also had moments when I was totally honest with myself and questioned my intentions and even my purpose.
In 2020, I want to dig deep into self-discovery. I want to seek more clarity on things I want, I stand for and what I expect from myself and others. I want to ask the following questions in every step of the way
Why am I doing this?
How does it serve me?
Is it helping me to reach my goal?
Is it affecting my physical or mental health?
Clarity of purpose has the power to shape your life; your decisions, choices and ultimately your daily actions.
3 Tips to Finding your Own Word of the Year
- Reviewing the past year, identify something you want to improve on or things you want to do differently or the person you want to become.
- Write down all the traits or characteristics of the person you want to become, or a positive alternative of what is holding you back. Ex- if regret is what is holding you back, then the positive alternative will be forgiveness or free.
- Pick a word from the list that you think you want the most.
A few Examples of words of the year:
- Fearless– Let go of the fear that’s holding you back
- Forgiveness– Let go of the regrets
- Gratitude– Reflect on the journey rather the end goal
- Thrive– Grow personally, professionally and spiritually.
- Create– Create more of what you love.
- Celebrate– Celebrate little victories, achievements or celebrate life in general.
- Cultivate– Cultivate habits that you need for a particular job or business or for a better life.
- Uncomfortable– Do things they make you uncomfortable- public speaking, solo traveling, waking up early etc.
- Reset– Take more breaks, go on a spiritual retreat.
- Relationships– Build new connections, value and nourish existing ones.
Shop this Word of the Year Post: