Everything You Need to Know About Essential Oils With SPF
Last year, I did a post on Summer beauty essentials which typically sums up my favorite natural products for Summer. Not much has changed in my routine apart from concocting essential oils recipes for the same products. A lot of people use Coconut oil for sunscreens and It’s amazing how plants actually have SPF in them but the fact we need to understand is whether they actually provide UV protection?
Do Essential Oils with SPF provide UV protection?
I constantly try to make every single skin care product at home. Sometimes the essential / carrier oil by itself is enough to serve the purpose like Coconut Oil is just enough for moisturizing skin. When it comes to Sun protection, yes natural oils do provide UV Protection! but how much and how long you need protection is also important.
Essential Oils and their SPF Factor-
- Red Raspberry Seed Oil- 25-50 SPF
- Carrot Seed Oil- 35-40 SPF
- Zinc Oxide- 2-20 SPF (depending on the quantity you use)
- Olive Oil- up to 7 SPF
- Shea Butter- 4-6 SPF
- Coconut Oil- 4-6 SPF
- Almond Oil- up to 5 SPF
- Peppermint Oil- up to 7 SPF
- Macadamia Nut Oil- up to 6 SPF
Coconut oil SPF range from 4-6, which is not enough to wear it by itself esp when you are exposed to the sun for more than 20 minutes. I have brown skin and I typically wear 25-30 SPF in Summer and 15 SPF or no SPF in Winter. I sometimes don’t bother to even wear sunscreen because I typically stay indoors all day long working in an office or home. So, when I get out, I try to get adequate Vitamin D without burning myself. So, natural oil sunscreen works great for me but It may or may not be a great alternative for everyone. However, I have some quick recipes for you below-
- For Medium coverage– you can typically use a combination of Shea butter, coconut oil, and zinc oxide or raspberry seed oil.
- For Full Coverage– you can combine Zinc oxide, carrot seed oil with Shea butter
Not into DIY Essential Oils with SPF? no problem!
check out these 2 pre-made natural mineral sunscreen products that are free from any harmful chemicals.
Natural Mineral Sunscreens and its Benefits
Mineral sunscreens are made of either Zinc oxide or Titanium oxide or both
- Mineral sunscreens are a great alternative to natural oils as both the ingredients in mineral sunscreen occur naturally.
- Acts as a mirror by reflecting UV radiations with Zinc/ Titanium oxide without penetrating into skin deep.
- Effective immediately after application.
- Zinc oxide protects from against UVA and UVB radiations without degrading when exposed to UV rays.
1. Badger Unscented Sunscreen SPF 25
Badger makes mineral sunscreens with non nano zinc oxide – means these particles will not sink into your skin and enter your bloodstream but rather they act as a physical barrier to the sun’s UV radiations. As a result, they leave a white residue on your skin which can be annoying esp if you have darker skin. Take a little amount of the product and rub it into the skin until the white residue goes away or apply it with coconut oil for easy application.
Where to Buy
- Badger Unscented SPF 25 Zinc Oxide – Amazon // iHerb
- Badger Rose Scented SPF 25- Amazon
- Badger SPF 35 sports- Amazon // iHerb
- Badger Lip sunscreen- Amazon // iHerb
- Badger Kids SPF 30- Amazon
- Badger Baby SPF 30- Amazon
2. Coola naturally Scented Mineral sunscreen With 30 SPF
Last year, I mentioned Coola sunscreen spray which I still use for my body (easy in application and doesn’t leave any white residue). For the face, I tend to alternate between Coola mineral sunscreen depending and Suntegrity tinted moisturizer on the coverage I need. Coola mineral sunscreen is made from both non nano zinc and titanium oxide and is naturally scented with citrus. It is also water-resistant (80 minutes) and is 98% certified organic.
My favorite sunscreen spray
They also make awesome lip colors with SPF 30
Where to Buy
- Coola Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer for Face – Amazon // iHerb
- Coola mineral Liplux in the Nude beach- Amazon
- Coola Sunscreen Spray SPF 30 (this is what I use)– Amazon
- Coola Sunscreen Spray SPF 50- Amazon