Everything You Need to Know About Essential Oils With SPF
Last year, I did a post on Summer beauty essentials which typically sums up my favorite natural products for Summer. Not much has changed in my routine apart from concocting essential oil recipes for the same products. A lot of people use Coconut oil for sunscreens and It’s amazing how plants actually have SPF in them but the fact we need to understand is whether they actually provide UV protection?
Do Essential Oils with SPF provide UV protection?
I constantly try to make every single skincare product at home. Sometimes the essential / carrier oil by itself is enough to serve the purpose like Coconut Oil is just enough for moisturizing skin. When it comes to Sun protection, yes natural oils do provide UV Protection! but how much and how long you need protection is also important.
Essential Oils and their SPF Factor-
- Red Raspberry Seed Oil- 25-50 SPF
- Carrot Seed Oil- 35-40 SPF
- Zinc Oxide- 2-20 SPF (depending on the quantity you use)
- Olive Oil- up to 7 SPF
- Shea Butter- 4-6 SPF
- Coconut Oil- 4-6 SPF
- Almond Oil- up to 5 SPF
- Peppermint Oil- up to 7 SPF
- Macadamia Nut Oil- up to 6 SPF
Coconut oil SPF range from 4-6, which is not enough to wear it by itself esp when you are exposed to the sun for more than 20 minutes. I have brown skin and I typically wear 25-30 SPF in Summer and 15 SPF or no SPF in Winter. I sometimes don’t bother to even wear sunscreen because I typically stay indoors all day long working in an office or home. So, when I get out, I try to get adequate Vitamin D without burning myself. So, natural oil sunscreen works great for me but It may or may not be a great alternative for everyone. However, I have some quick recipes for you below-
- For Medium coverage– you can typically use a combination of Shea butter, coconut oil, and zinc oxide or raspberry seed oil.
- For Full Coverage– you can combine Zinc oxide, carrot seed oil with Shea butter
[related post: Easy All-natural Summer Makeup look]
Not into DIY Essential Oils with SPF? no problem!
check out these 2 pre-made natural mineral sunscreen products that are free from any harmful chemicals.
Natural Mineral Sunscreens and its Benefits
Mineral sunscreens are made of either Zinc oxide or Titanium oxide or both
- Mineral sunscreens are a great alternative to natural oils as both the ingredients in mineral sunscreen occur naturally.
- Acts as a mirror by reflecting UV radiations with Zinc/ Titanium oxide without penetrating into skin deep.
- Effective immediately after application.
- Zinc oxide protects against UVA and UVB radiations without degrading when exposed to UV rays.
1. Badger Mineral Sunscreen Lotion and Lip Balm
Badger makes mineral sunscreens with non nano zinc oxide – means these particles will not sink into your skin and enter your bloodstream but rather they act as a physical barrier to the sun’s UV radiations. As a result, they leave a white residue on your skin which can be annoying esp if you have darker skin. Take a little amount of the product and rub it into the skin until the white residue goes away or apply it with coconut oil for easy application.
Where to Buy
- Badger Unscented SPF 35 Zinc Oxide Sport – Amazon
- Badger Baby SPF 30- Amazon
- Badger SPF 40 Kids Water Resistant- Amazon
- Badger Lip Balm SPF 35- Amazon
[Related post: 2017: Favorite Summer Natural Beauty Products]
2. Coola Mineral sunscreen Spray
Last year, I mentioned Coola Sunscreen Spray in my Summer natural beauty products list, and ever since it’s has been my number #1 choice for body sunscreen. The formulation is non-greasy, water-resistant, easy in application, and doesn’t leave any white residue.
Coola mineral sunscreen is made from both non-nano zinc and titanium oxide and is naturally scented. It’s also loaded with a bunch of organic ingredients, like raspberry seed oil as well as cucumber, strawberry, and algae extracts, that hydrate and fortify the skin while the active ingredients shield the sun. It is also water-resistant (80 minutes) and is 70%+ certified organic.
The sunscreen spray is perhaps the best product from them and in this entire category.
They also make awesome tinted lip balms with SPF 30
Where to Buy
- Coola Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer for Face – Nordstrom (seen here)
- Coola Mineral Liplux in the Nude beach- Amazon
- Coola Sunscreen Spray SPF 30 (this is what I use)– Amazon
- Coola Sunscreen Spray SPF 50- Amazon
- Coola Sunscreen Spray SPF 70- Amazon
3. Suntegrity Mineral Tinted Face Moisturizer SPF 30
With a little bit of coverage, this tinted moisturizer with SPF 30 is my preferred face moisturizer for all through the year. The finish is very natural and doesn’t rip off the natural glow of the skin. The ingredient list is clean with 20% zinc oxide topped with many hydrating oils like hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, etc.
Check out the makeup look I created with this HERE
Where to Buy