To be quite honest New Year’s resolutions never really worked for me. I pick the same resolutions, again and again, every year (hello weight loss!) and never really accomplish it.
Last year I did something different, I picked a word of the year instead of resolutions, as a focal point for what I want to bring into my life in the new year. It was very effective. I also find setting daily intentions and knocking them out empowering and motivating.
Resolutions are about the destination, the end result which can be daunting and unachievable sometimes. However, intentions are something you accomplish every day to reach that goal or resolution.
Shop my Look:
Madewell Sweater (on sale for $49) | H&M Skirt | Boots (50% off; similar here and here) | Suede Jacket | Earrings | PRL Crossbody bag (similar here under $50)
The Importance of Setting Intentions to Achieve your Goals & Resolutions
Let’s take an example to understand better how Intentions can help you achieve your goals. What’s better than everyone’s favorite resolution, losing weight?
First, come up with an achievable goal like l want to lose 25 pounds by the end of the year. It doesn’t always have to be straight-up numbers it can be any goal that will help you lose weight in the process like running a half marathon.
I have a resolution/goal now what?
You can just sit and hope to work out whenever you can and somehow magically lose 25 pounds by December 31st.
Trust me I tried it doesn’t work that way 🙂
Instead, Recognize habits that hindered your progress in the past and set realistic daily goals that you can accomplish irrespective of how busy your day gets.
Here are the intentions that I set up to back my goal of losing weight
- Work out at different times during the day and find out what time works for you the best.
- Work out at least 3 times a week.
- Walk Bagheera for 15-20 mins every evening after coming back from the office.
- Schedule OTF (orange theory fitness) classes a week ahead and add them to the calendar as a task.
- Choose WORKOUT over the blog, Netflix, and everything else.
- Eat less carb food like quinoa instead of white rice.
- Eat out only once a week, and rest cook meals at home.
- Prefer baked or roasted food instead of fried.
Scheduling my workouts a week before and setting calender alerts has been effective. Because it helps me plan my day accordingly. It’s a commitment rather than just a task plus I get reminders on my phone. In short, it feels like a doctor’s appointment that I don’t want to miss.
My favorite time to work out is in the morning. I worked out 3 times every week without fail all January (except for this week, but will completely crash it over the weekend). I walked my dog almost every evening and I was mindful of what and how much I ate.
There is a scope for improvement but it was a great start and something that didn’t feel overwhelming or unachievable.
I was able to accomplish all this because my goals were supported and backed by clear-cut intentions.
Intentions not only serve as a roadmap and reminder of how you want to show up in the world but also give you the motivation and accountability you need to transform yourself.
How To Use the FREE Downloadable to Track your Goals And Intentions:
I spent the last week of December preparing this Excel Goals and Intentions planner + tracker. I used it to track my January goals and found it extremely powerful, In fact, a game-changer.
- The tracker allows you to track your goals on a Monthly and Quarterly basis.
- Write your goals by categorizing them based on multiple dimensions like Financial, physical, spiritual, social, relationships, etc. You can add or delete dimensions as per your needs.
- Once you list all the goals, now add intentions to all your goals. You can follow the example mentioned above or in the template.
- Set up a calendar reminder end of each month (I update mine on last Friday of each month) to update your monthly Goals and Intentions and end of every quarter to update your Quarterly goals
- The progress tracker is color-coded so you get a gist of how you did for the month with a mere glance.
How to Download the FREE Goals and Intentions Tracker:
Put in your First name and Email below and you will receive an email with a downloadable link. Good Luck!